Written By RV Recipes on Wednesday, December 18, 2019 | December 18, 2019
Here's a classic Christmas cake recipe sent in by Julie from South Australia.
She tells us "I use a good Brandy, as they say, use a good wine when cooking. Soak the fruit for a week or so (1/2 cup of Brandy) stirring twice a day then add a 'touch' more where called upon in the recipe."
She also mentioned this cake can store for 12 months (when properly stored)!!!
375 g sultanas
250 g raisins chopped
250 g currants
125 g mixed peel
125 g glace cherries halved
60 g glace pineapple chopped
250 g butter
1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
1/2 cup brandy
1/2 cup water
2 tsp orange rind grated
1 tsp lemon rind grated
1 tbs treacle
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1/3 cup self-raising flour
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Line a deep 23 cm or 20 cm square cake tin with three thicknesses of grease proof paper, bringing paper 5 cm above the edge of tin.
2. Combine fruit, butter, sugar, brandy and water in a pan, stir over heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolved.
3. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, cool to room temperature.
5. Stir in orange and lemon rind, treacle and eggs.
6. Stir in sifted dry ingredients, spread mixture evenly into tin.
7. Bake at 140C for 2-2½ hours. Cover hot cake with foil, cool in tin.
Do you have favorite recipe you like to cook on the road? Why not send it in to be featured on our RV Recipe website, if it gets popular enough, it might just make our quarterly cookbook Email Us
Photos are a serving suggestion only and may not be an exact representation of the recipe above.