Written By RV Recipes on Saturday, June 29, 2019 | June 29, 2019
Chicken Cacciatore is a classic Italian recipe sent in by Susan.
Fun fact: Cacciatore means "hunter" in Italian. In cuisine, alla cacciatora refers to a meal prepared "hunter-style" with onions, herbs, usually tomatoes, often bell peppers, and sometimes wine. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacciatore
8 chicken thighs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large red bell pepper , chopped
1 red onion , chopped
8 oz mushrooms , sliced
3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
3/4 cup dry white wine , 177mls
28 ounce crushed tomatoes with juice , 793g
3 stems of fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1. Preheat caravan/motorhome oven to 175°C
2. Season the chicken thighs both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Add a little olive oil to a Dutch oven and gently cook them on a medium heat for about 4-5 minutes on each side to brown the chicken, then remove from pan.
4. Heat a little more olive oil in your Dutch oven and saute the onions, red bell pepper, and garlic for about 4 minutes.
5. Add the white wine, tomatoes, bay leaves and thyme to the vegetables and heat until the sauce is simmering.
6. Now add mushrooms to the sauce along with the chicken pieces on top of the sauce, skin side up, and bake in the oven without a lid for about 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
7. Season to taste and serve hot.
Photograph: Vicky Wasik
Do you have favorite recipe you like to cook on the road? Why not send it in to be featured on our RV Recipe website, if it gets popular enough, it might just make our quarterly cookbook Email Us
Photos are a serving suggestion only and may not be an exact representation of the recipe above.