Written By RV Recipes on Tuesday, March 12, 2019 | March 12, 2019
This beef pot roast recipe is made for the slow cooker but can also be done on the stove top, just add 2 more cups of water, simmer covered 2 - 2.5 hrs until meat is starting to be tender, turning meat once or twice.
Add potatoes then cook another 30 minutes until meat is super tender and potatoes are soft. Keep a close eye on water level.
1 - 2 kg / 2 - 4 lb beef chuck roast / rolled chuck
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion (large) , cut into large dice
5 garlic cloves , peeled and smashed (Note 2a)
5 carrots , peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1" pieces
3 celery stalks , cut into 4 cm / 1.5" pieces
1 cup / 250 ml dry red wine (or sub with beef broth)
3 cups / 750 ml beef broth , salt reduced
1/3 cup / 50g flour (plain / all purpose)
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
750 g - 1 kg / 1.5 - 2 lb potatoes , peeled and cut into 2.5 cm / 1" pieces
1. Pat beef dry with paper towels. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper all over.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Brown aggressively all over - a deep dark brown crust is essential for flavor base! Should take about 7 minutes.
3. Transfer beef to slow cooker.
4. In the same skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until onion is browned.
5. Add wine, reduce by half. Transfer to slow cooker.
6. Mix together flour and about 1 cup of the broth. Lumps is fine. Pour into slow cooker.
7. Add remaining broth, carrots, celery, rosemary and thyme into slow cooker.
8. Cover and slow cook on LOW for 5 hours. Or 45 minutes in a pressure cook on HIGH.
9. Add potato, slow cook on LOW for 3 hours. Or 10 minutes in a pressure cooker on HIGH.
10. Remove beef. Rest for 5 minutes, then slice thickly.
11. Adjust salt and pepper of Sauce to taste. Serve beef with vegetables and plenty of sauce!
Do you have favorite recipe you like to cook on the road? Why not send it in to be featured on our RV Recipe website, if it gets popular enough, it might just make our quarterly cookbook Email Us
Photos are a serving suggestion only and may not be an exact representation of the recipe above.