Written By RV Recipes on Wednesday, January 30, 2019 | January 30, 2019
Good ol Australian Damper, you can cook this classic either in the caravan/motorhome oven or even better yet, over an open camp fire, very easy to cook!
450 grams flour, self-raising
¼ teaspoon salt
180 ml milk (if too dry, add a bit more)
1 teaspoon sugar, caster
80 grams butter, chilled
Note: Extra flour, if you need it
1. Mix the flour, salt and sugar together into a bowl.
2. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add milk slowly and mix to form a soft dough.
4. Knead lightly on a floured board until smooth. Shape into a round loaf, brush with milk and cut a cross in the top surface of the dough.
5. Grease tin foil and dust with flour. Add bread dough and wrap it.
6. Place in the coals of the BBQ and let it bake for about 30 minutes.
Note: To test if it’s done, tap on the loaf and it should sound hollow. Cut into moderately thick slices and serve while still warm. I recommend to top with butter, golden syrup or your favourite jam.
Do you have favorite recipe you like to cook on the road? Why not send it in to be featured on our RV Recipe website, if it gets popular enough, it might just make our quarterly cookbook Email Us